Types of hosting services
A hosting solution implies depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server hosted by a website hosting company. There are different forms of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glance at them. Doing so, you can conclude what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to run a web site, email aliases, or to share files with mates and associates.
- File hosting: a service delivered by particular web hosts, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage packages frequently involve adverts by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given spell of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely false interpretation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would distribute the tasks at hand between individual hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given companies provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting brand is suitable if you desire to share a big number of pictures with chums or acquaintances since the service is commonly free. You will receive a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to tackling your e-mail aliases. Some companies provide web space hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you want to open a mail address with your domain name but do not want to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create email accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have difficulty with your hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will enable you to utilize as many video clips as you wish without bothering about system reserves.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to run a site. To some degree, it contains all of the aforementioned hosting kinds since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email box accounts, upload video files, and so on. At Exclusive Hosting, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the regular email/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for particular web content only.